Search This Blog

Friday, October 29, 2010

Talking to a five year old about EMS...what to say?


            Hypothetical situation…you are asked to speak at a school to a group of approximately five year old kids about EMS for public safety awareness week (or whatever you want to call it). You are standing in front of about 15 kids expecting you to tell them some crazy cool stuff about driving ambulances with lights and sirens…so what do you say? You could start by telling them that, in all honesty, (especially if you are working for a private Ambulance Company) we do not use the sirens and lights all that often. In fact, kids we transport grandma or grandpa from point A-B and take discharges from hospitals home, etc. You could tell them that our job as an EMT is a thankless one, involving long, sleepless hours with little compensation. You could tell them about all those times you were harassed by patients, spit on, attacked, yelled/screamed at, treated like an idiot…You could tell them all these things and more. I like to think differently. I am one of those crazy optimistic people who think things can only get better. I happen to have a wonderful girlfriend who thinks the same way and she happens to be a pretty awesome teacher for young kids in pre-K education. She as proved to be an inspiration, with little pay or thanks for her job, she keeps a smile on her face even in the most tough of situations. Her positive attitude and passion for this age group has propelled me to think that maybe being an EMT is not all that bad, especially when every kid wants to be in a cool looking vehicle with lights and sirens (and guess what…I live that dream everyday!). I believe Sir Ernest Shackleton put it just right when he said, “Men and women wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages. Bitter cold. Long months of complete darkness. Constant danger. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” This is a hard job with constant danger and no recognition; however, there is success and with that success happiness knowing that what you have done has impacted someone’s life regardless of whether or not it was a routine transport to or from dialysis. We make an impact on all of our patients and they make an impact on us. In this job you are constantly learning, constantly meeting new people, constantly being put into situations that are challenging and dangerous. We are the few, the proud, the EMT.
            So, what do you say to the five year olds looking up at you with great expectations? You tell them the truth…this is a hard job and driving an ambulance can be fun, but I get to help people every day and that is what makes it worth every minute of my time I invest in this job. I get to help grandma and grandpa cross the street, I get to bring joy to people who may rarely have contact with the outside world, I get to save people who, without me, could get hurt and have no one to help them. I am not a superhero, I am not a hero in general, I am just a regular guy who wakes up every morning, makes a cup of coffee and goes to work. What I am, is an EMT, and this is my life. I have no secret identity, I do not hide from the world until needed…no…I stand proud to serve my community in rain, sleet, hail, blizzard, you name it, and for all that I do not expect thanks, nor medals, nor compensation, I do not stand at the top of a building with a big S on my shirt nor a picture of a bat…no…I  have served my community, I have possibly saved lives, possibly made someone happy for a brief moment, but my sense of accomplishment is making it home at the end of the day knowing I did all these great things while also getting the opportunity to see and spend time with the ones I love. So for all you kids out there, or those who are kids at heart, remember, as tough as our job may be, as little thanks as we may get, we do an important job and we are heroes, or, at least to those kids we are.

2 comments:

  1. *Like*!
    You hit the nail on the head. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. You know, I think when you're a kid, you see things so differently. Everything is more pure. Even though it may be hard to believe, all those kids learn that EMTs are heroes, that they save people's lives. Where did they learn that from? Yes, they learn from teachers, but also from the very people you would least expect to be appreciative: their parents. So yes, these kids really do think EMTs are heroes because hell, it's the truth. But these young children learn it from older society. It's a value that's being passed on. I happen to have a pretty amazing boyfriend who's an EMT, and I'm so proud of him for what he does every day. It takes someone of great caliber to be able to do that job. And it's pretty damn awesome. =)

    ReplyDelete